Instruction in English as a second language (ESL) is distinct from remediation in English. Students enrolled in ESL credit coursework are foreign language learners who require additional language training in English, require support to successfully complete degree and transfer requirements in English, or require both of the above. Under AB 705, a student enrolled in ESL instruction will maximize the probability that the student will enter and complete degree and transfer requirements in English within three years.
Additional guidance on assessment and placement will be developed by an ESL Subcommittee of the AB 705 Implementation Committee. More information on the group's meeting schedule, agenda and work products will be placed here as it becomes available.
Questions about the AB 705 Implementation Committee and Subcommittees can be directed to Kathy Carroll at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- AB 705 ESL Implementation Timeline
Alice Perez, Vice Chancellor of Academic Affairs, California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office
- Rebecca Martinez Beck, English as a Second Language Instructor, Irvine Valley College
- Manuel Mancillas Gomez, English as a Second Language Instructor, Cuyamaca College
- Gregory Keech, Chair, Department of English as a Second Language, CC San Francisco
- Lyn Neylon, English as a Second Language Professor, Cuyamaca College
- Melissa Reeve, English Professor, Solano Community College
- Sydney Rice, English as a Second Language Professor, Imperial Valley College
- Craig Rutan, Physics and Engineering Associate Professor, Santiago Canyon College
- Myra Snell, Mathematics Professor, Los Medanos College
- Lisa Saperston, English as a Second Language Professor, Mt. San Antonio College
- Leigh Anne Shaw, English as a Second Language Professor, Skyline College
- Kathy Wada, English as a Second Language Professor, Cypress College
- Katie Hern, English Instructor, Chabot College
- Chantee Guiney, Specialist, Academic Affairs, Chancellor’s Office
- Jennifer Vega La Serna, Vice President, Academic Services, College of the Sequoias
- Nancy Frampton, ESL, Linguistics and Reading Instructor, Reedley College
- Randy Tillery, Project Director, WestEdu
- Tracey Walker, English Professor, San Diego Mesa College